First Baptist Church of Oakboro just celebrated its 100th Anniversary, being organized February 23, 1916. The organizing body consisted of the following ministers: Rev. R.P. Walker, Rev. J.C. Gillespie, Rev. J. S. Harris and Rev. P. G. Hartsell.
The first church building was a one-room frame building on Main Street. After a few years, an educational annex was constructed for Sunday School and other organizations. This building served until 1950 when a new location was purchased and the present church was erected. In 1957 a parsonage was built on the original site of the church building. On July 28, 1985, the church dedicated the Oakboro Baptist Home for the Aged on First Street to serve the needs of the church and the community. A new fellowship building with kitchen and offices for the staff was constructed on Haywood street, behind the sanctuary. This building was dedicated in September 2002.
Rev. J. Adam Grubb was called as the first pastor of the church. Other pastors have been: J.C. Gillespie, A.B. Smith, J.F. Black, F.W. Frye, E.M. Brooks, Frank Gaddy, L.D. Munn, S.T Morris, B.G. Henry, C.L. Pickler, Ray Smith, Eugene Byrd, Sam Long, Ronnie Pierce, Guy Funderburke, Maurice S. McLain, Frank Marks, J. Floyd Mauney, A.M Kiser, Howard Davis, John Barnhardt, Mark King, Donnie Lovette, D. Terrell Watts, and, currently, Jonathan Waits. Mark Edwards and Jesse Watkins have served as full-time associate Pastors. The Church has enjoyed the blessings of many other volunteers and part-time leaders through the years.
The Oakboro School of Music was established in 2004 offering private lessons in voice, piano, violin, and guitar. The music school has enrolled more than 100 students since its opening, and features them in recital each May.
Many faithful members have guided this church from its formation to the present time in serving our Lord at home and around the world. We believe our best years lie ahead.